Called together by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit, Mount Olive Presbyterian Church is committed to sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with all people, to nurturing Christian discipleship, and to serving the world in the name of Christ through worship, service, education, and fellowship.
Mount Olive Presbyterian church was organized on September 29, 1874 by the Reverend Mr. Alexander Kirkland, evangelist for Wilmington Presbytery, with sixteen charter members. Mr. Kirkland served as stated supply until 1879.
The congregation first worshiped in a school building on the corner of South Church and Pollock Streets. In 1875, land was given at the present site and a frame building was erected.
In 1880, Dr. Benjamin Marable came to Mount Olive as the first pastor of the church and served until his death in 1892. Other pastors of the church have been:
The present brick church has built in 1916. Major renovations in 1967 included moving the choir loft from the front to the back of the sanctuary, removing the balcony, closing the side alcoves at the front, and installing the present chandeliers, pulpit, lectern, and baptismal font.
In more recent years, the steeple has been reinforced and the sound system modernized.
At one time during Mr. Baker's pastorate, the church was sponsoring four Sunday Schools with a combined enrollment of 344. One of these schools eventually developed into the Baker Presbyterian Church. In 1934, thirty-one members were dismissed from the Mount Olive church to become charter members of Baker. Fifty-four years later, in 1988, the Baker congregation was dissolved and its members received into the Mount Olive church.
The present educational building was built in 1956. It saw major renovations in 1998 including a new parlor and library, a completely refurbished kitchen, ceilings lowered and insulated, improved lighting, new closets in the foyer and kitchen, and a new roof.
Sons and daughters of this church who have entered the pastorate or lay ministry include: